SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Conservatory fire at Crewkerne

 SOUTH SOMERSET NEWS: Conservatory fire at Crewkerne

A CONSERVATORY of a home in Crewkerne was completely destroyed in a fire on Sunday (July 30, 2017) afternoon.

Three fire engines from Crewkerne, Yeovil and Beaminster were mobilised shortly after 5pm to the incident in Henhayes Lane after the alarm was raised by the occupant of the property.

On arrival at the home the firefighters found the fire involved a conservatory/utility room at the rear of the two-storey privately rented property with the rest of the house heavily smoke logged.

Firefighters quickly got to work to put out the fire and then spent time ventilating the house and an adjoining property.

A spokesman for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “The cause of the fire has been confirmed as accidental, after the occupant was burning paper to the rear of the property and it got out of control.

“The small conservatory/utility was destroyed by the fire, with a small amount of fire damage to the kitchen, and the remainder of the property suffering 90 per cent damage by smoke.

“No persons were injured but the property has been left uninhabitable.”